Brian is a Corporate partner in the firm's Edinburgh office and has been with MMS since 1997 when he joined as a trainee solicitor. He has broad experience of a wide range of UK and international corporate and commercial work, and specialises in public and private M&A, corporate finance, restructurings, joint ventures and commercial contracts.
Brian has been admitted as a solicitor in Scotland and in England & Wales and is particularly active in the Energy & Renewables, Food & Drink, Manufacturing & Engineering and Real Estate sectors.
Recent notable transactions include:
- Advising London Stock Exchange listed mineral wool insulation manufacturer Superglass Holdings plc on its £13 million firm placing, £5.725 million debt-for-equity restructuring and transfer to the Alternative Investment Market.
- Advising London Stock Exchange listed manufacturing company British Polythene Industries plc on the acquisition of the Flexfilm Group for £5.5million.
- Advising London Stock Exchange listed engineering company The Weir Group plc on the sale of its Liquid Gas Equipment Limited subsidiary to Babcock International Group plc for an enterprise value of £23 million.
- Advising London Stock Exchange listed specialist retail property investor Capital & Regional plc on the sale of its 50% stake in Xscape Braehead, Glasgow to its joint venture partner Capital Shopping Centres Group plc for net consideration of £4 million.
- Advising London Stock Exchange listed milk processor Robert Wiseman Dairies plc on its £280 million recommended public takeover by Müller Dairy (UK) Limited.
- Advising London Stock Exchange listed mineral wool insulation manufacturer Superglass Holdings plc on its £22 million debt and equity refinancing and restructuring.
- Advising London Stock Exchange listed transport company Stagecoach Group plc in relation to numerous bus and coach M&A transactions across the UK as well as the Scottish Citylink Coaches joint venture. Recent acquisitions include First Group plc’s business in Wigan, First Group plc’s business in Chester and Birkenhead and Bluebird Buses of Manchester. Recent disposals include the sale of Preston Bus Limited to Rotala plc.
- Advising London Stock Exchange listed milk processor Robert Wiseman Dairies plc on its A2 milk joint venture with New Zealand stock exchange listed A2 Corporation Limited.
- Advising unconventional gas exploration company Composite Energy Limited (now Dart Energy Europe Limited) on an initial $12 million investment by Australian stock exchange listed Dart Energy Limited, the subsequent $47 million sale of the company to Dart Energy Limited and the de-merger and sale of the business and assets of subsidiary Geometric Drilling Limited to Cofor Limited, a subsidiary of Entrepose Contracting.
- Advising AIM listed engineering group Clyde Process Solutions plc on its £35 million recommended public takeover by Schenck Process UK Limited.